Support Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Nutcrackers Fight Breast Cancer - You Give. We Donate
by Esmee Dorf
Posted on Oct 1, 2018
Nutcrackers may not be the first kind of soldiers that would come to mind when you think about the fight against breast cancer. But at Nutcracker Ballet Gifts, we have been contributing to this fight since 2010. Since then, we have been able to donate over $16,000 to fund research into preventive and curative measures via various breast cancer foundations. And every penny came from the proceeds of selling nutcrackers!
How we got involved
We have all been touched by cancer. Whether breast cancer or other, our owner and designer, Michelle Dorf, was certainly no different. In 2010, with a determination to use our unique platform as a means for good, she came up with idea of the "Pink Ribbon Nutcracker". With such an exclusive product, it soon became one of the most popular items in our line. Almost 16,000 units later, the popularity is only growing!
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM)
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Pink is the international symbol for breast cancer. Fighters, survivors, promoters, donors, advocates, and everyone that cares about the fight against breast cancer identify with the pink color.
Some facts about breast cancer
- Worldwide, breast cancer is the most common type of non-skin cancer among women.
- 1 out of every 8 women would be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
- It accounts for about a third of all cancer diagnoses in women.
- More than 250,000 American women are diagnosed every year. On the average 1 woman is diagnosed every 2 minutes.
- The Center for Disease Control states "Young African American women under the age of 35 have breast cancer rates that are two times higher than Caucasian women of the same age" and "are three times as likely to die from breast cancer as Caucasian women of the same age."
- Breast cancer kills more than 40,000 American women every year, making it the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths among women. On the average, 1 woman loses the fight every 13 minutes.
- BUT many people diagnosed with breast cancer win the battle against the disease. Currently, there are more than 3 million survivors in the United States!
Organizations We Support
The high prevalence of breast cancer means there is a high chance that you’ll know a family member or a friend who has survived or ultimately lost the fight against breast cancer. Over the years we have chosen to donate to the following organizations. Together, we can win the fight against this monster. And it all starts with doing something positive to support the cause. If you wish to donate directly, you may visit any of these sites: (This is not a direct endorsement to any specific cause or foundation. All individuals should research any foundation they choose to support directly via websites like Charity Navigator and Charity Watch.)
- Stand up to Cancer
- Breast Cancer Research Foundation
- American Cancer Society
- Lynn Sage Cancer Research
- National Cancer Institute
- Breast Cancer Action
- Living Beyond Breast Cancer
- Susan G. Komen For the Cure
Our Breast Cancer Nutcracker line
You can support the cause in your own way by gifting one of our pink cuties to a loved one or purchasing one for yourself. A percentage of the profits is donated to trusted breast cancer charities and research organizations.
Here is a look of what we have for you this season!
Use any of these hashtags when you share on social media!
#breastcancer #cancer #breastcancerawareness #cancersucks #cancersurvivor #survivor #pink #chemotherapy #fuckcancer #breastcancersurvivor #cancerfighter #chemo #cancerawareness #brca #cancerfree #repost #pinkribbon #awareness #stage #leukemia #oncology #cancercare #family #coppafeel #radiotherapy #life #thinkpink #breastcancerfighter #bhfyp
With more than 13,000 units sold already since we began selling in 2010, this bold nutcracker 10 inch nutcracker is by far our customers’ favorite. This decorated soldier is dressed in classic white, pink, and raspberry; and its shield proudly bears the traditional pink breast cancer ribbon. This is the perfect item to gift someone in anticipation of the holidays, especially someone who has had a personal experience with breast cancer. Shop Pink Now!
New Design available Oct 25!
The 10-inch nutcracker comes with a feathered crown and there are five traditional breast cancer ribbons visible at the base. We chose to get back to basics with a redux of our original design. His simplicity still sends a powerful message. Shop Pink Now!
Limited Stock Available!
The limited edition nutcracker is themed towards raising more awareness about breast cancer in the African-American population. While giant strides have been made in the fight against the disease across the board, the number of new cases remain higher among black women when compared with their white counterparts. Furthermore, the survival rate of black women with breast cancer is lower than that of white women. The 15-inch cracker is dressed in pink, magenta, and white. It is further adorned with pink tassels and a silver shield that carries the traditional pink breast cancer ribbon. Shop Pink Now!
Limited Stock Available!
This pink 15 inch King Nutcracker was designed to help support breast cancer research. Rhinestones adorn this shimmering nutcracker's festive appearance, yet he represents something more profound than luxury. Pink, magenta and white outfit, with silver boots and trim. Pink tassels and his silver shield bearing the Breast Cancer Ribbon. Not only is he beautiful and meaningful, but a portion of every sale goes to support breast cancer research. Shop Pink Now!
- Wonderfully white mug enhanced with meaningful words designed to inspire and encourage create a backdrop for a charming pink Nutcracker and pink ribbon, the symbol of healing and hope for Breast Cancer survivors. We donate a portion of all profits to various foundations committed to find a cure. Raise awareness, celebrate dance, help find a cure, and share the Spirit of Christmas with this attractive mug this season.
Will you be joining in any fundraiser walks this Breast Cancer Awareness Month? This sports bottle is the perfect companion for a healthy walk around the neighborhood or out for a run. The Pink Ribbon nutcracker and the meaningful words are symbols of healing and hope those struggling with the disease or for loved ones! Shop Pink Now!